You never know who’s paying attention.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Car Pool Log: 2007 05-24

White utility van (refer to CPL: 2007 05-07).

It’s strange when there are just two strangers in a car. Drivers are more prone to conversation and small talk.

“Looking forward to the long weekend?” Driver asked.

I had to think about it for a moment. Long weekend? What long weekend? Did I mention to him in a previous ride that I was leaving for Mexico tomorrow? Then I realized that Monday was Memorial Day. “Oh, yeah,” I said. “It’s pretty exciting. I almost forgot that we had Monday off.” I consciously decided not to mention my upcoming trip.

“Yeah, I didn’t realize it either until this week,” he said.

We passed the construction of the new overpass in the Maze. “It’s going to open up tomorrow,” he said.

“That was really quick,” I said.

“They initially said it could take six months.”

“But it only happened in one. Makes you wonder about the safety of the structure. They were the same construction company that had that bridge accident while they were repairing that infrastructure in Napa or Sonoma.”

“Really?” Driver said. “They were the same people.”

“Yeah, they work 24 hours a day but compensate on the safety of their workers.”

“My mom retired over there and uses that bridge to get to and from work. When that happened I hadn’t heard from her in a while and got worried.”

We passed the toll plaza and onto the on-ramp for the Bay Bridge. “Heard anything about the bridge?”

I wasn’t sure what he was referring to. He gestured to the new bridge that’s being constructed next to the current one. I said that I heard nothing.

“Are they putting in that tall structure with the cables?”

“Last I heard they scrapped that idea for financial reasons and may keep it like the San Mateo Bridge, all flat and unadorned.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home