You never know who’s paying attention.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Car Pool Log: 2007 05-22

Forest green, Subaru Outback station wagon. Dark plastic and polyester interiors. Hanging from the rearview mirror was a blue, clear plastic ornament of a flip-flop sandal.

Driver didn’t initially see me and began moving her car forward as I approached. I opened the door (on the back window was a black & white decal of the Martian from Warner Bros. cartoons) and as I got in Driver apologized. I told her it was no problem, laughing along with her.

“I didn’t see you in the rearview, I should’ve checked the side mirrors,” she said.

“No, it’s totally fine,” I said.

She asked me if I needed more leg room, if she needed to move the passenger seat up. I told her I was comfortable the way it was.

There was a grocery shopping bag to my left. In the bag were boxes of cereals, granolas, and bars, some breads. On the floor, behind Driver’s seat: two plastic hangers and in In-And-Out paper placemat. In the cupholder on the dashboard was an empty McDonald’s cup with a portrait of Donkey from “Shrek the Third.” Behind the Driver’s seat, hanging from the headrest, was a canvas bag containing a manual, a guide, and a bottle of Snapple.

Second Passenger arrived, the same passenger from the day before. As he got in he asked if he needed to move the seat up. Driver laughed and I told him I was fine. “What,” Second Passenger said. “Do people ask that all the time?”

“No,” Driver said. “I just asked him that already.”

KQED on the radio. Driver’s FastTrak box beeped as we drove through the toll. “Doesn’t that charge you if you don’t hide it?” Second Passenger asked.

“No,” Driver replied. “I used to tuck it away but I don’t anymore. It always registers as zero.”

Driver and Second Passenger maintained general discussions about traffic near the toll plaza and the length of time it takes to get from the office to the freeway versus taking BART. I was unable to hear most of the conversation due to unspecific noise interference.

Driver said she was continuing on to Market and 3rd. I told her the corner was just fine for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home