You never know who’s paying attention.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Car Pool Log: 2006 08-30

Light gold, Subaru SRS Forester station wagon. In the change gully, by the stick-shift, there were beach rocks, shells and a feather positioned as if enshrined. A blue sticker on the windshield that said “Parking Permit” in white letters. A crack in the windshield running horizontal just about the dashboard. A pink disposable coffee cup in the cupholder.

Driver didn’t turn on the radio in the beginning. I sat there wondering if she was going to be a talker, thinking that the radio and/or music was a distraction from human-to-human contact. I concocted a dialogue in my head about how other cultures don’t necessarily consider verbal communication to be the height of politeness or connection.

On the bridge I heard a sudden and scratchy voice come from behind me. My first thought was that it was Second Passenger but what he was saying, and the sound of his voice, wasn’t making sense. Driver had actually turned on the radio to KQED and the voice was of an announcer. A discussion about clean energy sources.

As we headed into the Treasure Island tunnel Driver turned off the radio and asked if any of us had seen the sign about the Fremont exit being closed.

“I’m sorry but I wasn’t paying attention,” I said with a smile.

“That’s okay,” she said cheerfully. “It would be really bad if they closed that exit though.”

“Yes, it would,” Second Passenger said.

“People must be already out for the long weekend,” Driver said.

Second Passenger got on his cell phone:

“Hi… How are you?... Everything okay?... Good… Yeah… Okay… I’ll see you later then… Bye…”

The intersection of Howard and Fremont was practically deserted; few people crossing the street and no traffic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home