You never know who’s paying attention.

Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Feeling a cold coming on, not the delicate kind either but the feverish, tired kind. Got a half gallon of orange juice, nutri-grain bars, eggs to battle any sickness that thinks is going to come by me. Colds like this make me feel strange. Kind of depression mixed with anxiety. I feel restless, tried to read Banana Yoshimoto "Asleep" but it put me to sleep. Instead, I watched "Deranged", a movie Erica had rented. Went to the bookstore and bought a hardcover copy of Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein" and "The Painted Veil" by W. Somerset Maugham. I've been buying a lot of books and CD's that have been recommended, read, or listened to by B. lately. I almost felt like hiding the Wilco CD for fear that he might get the wrong impression. I don't know when I'll read the Maugham book but it was cheap and it just seemed like the right time.

The Yoshimoto collection is slow moving. I'm only on the first story but I'm not quite sure of the point and I'm curious about the translation. So far there's this quasi miysteriousness surrounding the death of the narrator's brother. It's nothing like a murder but possibly a suicide and the people around her are acting strangely. I don't feel any attachment to the characters like with "The Wapshot Scandal" or "Empire Falls" and I'm not gripped with the plot (from 2 of 3 stories) like in "The New York Trilogy." Right now it's kind of floating inbetween being read and being shelved.

Tonight I'm supposed to see Sigur Ros at the Paramount Theater. I already feel strange, light headed, fatigued but I really need to go to this show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home